Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pudding Monsters: puzzle app game for iphone, ipad

Pudding Monsters is a puzzle app game from the makers of Cut The Rope.

The object is to slide the little monsters to create one big blob monster.  When you slide them up, they will slide until they hit an obstacle.  If no obstacle exists, game over.

Ideally, your big blob monster will cover the 3 Xs.  If not, you still get credit for solving the level, you just won't get many stars.

And that's the problem with this type of puzzle: there are too many multiple solutions.

There are 125 levels. I've done 52 of them. I imagine that they're going to get tougher. But I am not feeling the vibe.

Nevertheless, Pudding Monsters does have some interesting puzzling elements.

UPDATE:
Robert Dancer is a fan of this blog and sent me this note:

G’day Tom!
 
Thanks again for the reviews… As regards Pudding Monsters, I love it… And there are a few extra layers of interest once you get a bit further through it… One is that in some of the later sets you get “magnetic” puddings, and in others you get “muscleman” puddings that can move some of the other objects in the game (I have finished all 125). But that’s not the best…
 
After a certain number of levels has been finished (can’t remember how many offhand) a second level of challenge opens up. As you pointed out, with many of the earlier levels (and quite a few of the later ones too) there are numerous solutions, and that you can get through without getting 3 x “X”. It is obvious that in some cases it is possible to find a solution with 0, 1, 2 and 3 Xs. Once you get to a certain point, you can go back and do all the levels, and if you manage to find _all_ of the possibilities (i.e. 0, 1, 2, and 3 Xs, or fewer if it is not possible), then you get a Crown for that level… This is a lot tougher…! I still don’t have crowns for all the levels (from memory I think I am missing about 5…). Adds another dimension….!
  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tom, I'm just getting back into "physical" puzzling after a 20 year hiatus and discovered your blog while researching the myriad of fantastic puzzles that are now available. I played Pudding Monsters for a while and managed to "crown" every level (i.e. solve all possible star combinations for every level). A few were quite tricky to get but it's well worth persevering with. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Geraint! I'm glad you also loved Pudding Monsters. Try Stickets. I think I've spent more time on that this year than any other game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, thanks for the reply and suggestion. Stickets looks like fun but unfortunately it only appears to be available on iOS (I have an Android device). Not to worry, I'm bound to find something. On the mechanical puzzle front, I have decided that my first new puzzle will be Hanayama's Cast Chain, which should arrive sometime this week. I can't wait!

      Delete